March 28, 2011

Cats {Nursery Rhyme Fun}

 
I recently shared about a terrific book, Origami for children, by Mari and Roshin Ono, so I was very excited to find Origami Club, a fantastic website, with lots and lots of ideas and great instructions. You can print the instructions, or watch a video if the printed version is to tricky to understand. All ideas are also rated, so you know the difficulty level before you start.

As part of our cat theme, I focused on some popular cat nursery rhymes...

 The Three Little Kittens



For some fun related to this nursery rhyme, we traced around Little One's hand and then created three sets of mittens. He loved sticking on the cotton balls. Little One loves glue, and calls it "gloopy glue", like Mr Maker does.  He gave this bottle of glue a good squeeze (great for those little fingers), but in the end I needed to help squeeze the glue out. We then played a game of hide and seek with the mittens. Just like in the nursery rhyme, we "lost" the mittens and had to find them. He really enjoyed this! (The mittens and the kittens are great for counting practice too.)

For some more fun, I made origami puppets (see above) to act out the nursery rhyme and we once again used our mittens as part of the play. I made a happy and a cross face for the Mommy cat, which I stuck back-to-back to a craft stick, so that the face could easily be flipped over during the story. This was also a great success!

Pussy Cat, Pussy Cat, Where have you been?


Acting out this nursery rhyme also turned into a great learning activity, with me focusing on prepositions. In my version, the pussy cat frightened and chased the mouse under, over, and onto the chair.  

PS. I'm linking this to...

6 comments:

Elle Belles Bows said...

Adorable! They definitely make you smile!

Also love the mitten project!

Kerri

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

Really cute origami! That is an awesome Origami Site! WOW!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Unknown said...

These are so cute! I hadn't seen that origami site before. Thanks for sharing!

Km said...

Sweet. Darling . And adorable in every way. I look forward to checking out the origami page... I think my kiddoswould enjoy it! Xoxoxxoxo

Unknown said...

Those are really cool!!

Thanks for sharing this post at For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars. This week's party is now posted. I'd love to have you share with us again this week!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-kids-friday-5.html

Unknown said...

They turned out great! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...