October 21, 2011

Shape Matching Fun



Today's post is a continuation of the Doctor Doctor fun we've been up to here. I love the simplicity of the red medical cross, so today I'm sharing some shape matching fun inspired by it.


Do your children have this kind of shape sorter...or something similar? I made these discs and Little One started off by matching up the plastic shapes to the discs...easy peasy. 


We then put the plastic shapes aside and asked him to find matching discs - for example, 
find another yellow shape or find another hexagon? 

I then packed them out in rows and asked him to count each row.
He did this very nicely :).


We didn't do this, but another possibility would be to put three in a row and ask which is the odd one out or which one doesn't match the others.

After playing with the discs for awhile, I put those aside and we had some fun with the shape sorter. As we played , it struck me that this is such a versatile toy. I have always thought of it as a baby toy, perhaps because my earliest association of it is the Tupperware shape sorter ball (remember that one?). But this is really far more than a simple baby posting game, with many playful and educational possibilities. I might just do a whole post about it sometime...

 Building shape towers...and the best part...knocking them down!


Till next time, Happy playing!

PS. I was really curious about the origin and meaning of the red cross medical symbol. You can read more about it here.

3 comments:

Isabel Rafael said...

Great ideas - I agree that this 'baby' toy can have pretty unlimited value for teaching children. All we need are creative moms.

Jenni Price said...

Hi Georgia,

This is a great idea and in general, your enthusiasm for creative play and crafting is fun to read about!

Thanks for visiting my blog today also!

Blessings,
Jenni

Katherine said...

Every idea you generate is smashingly wonderful! I love this concept. Your pictures are just great too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...