November 2, 2011

The Blessing by John Trent & Gary Smalley {Booksneeze Review}



I was very excited to read The Blessing ,which I had received to review from Booksneeze. This book is essentially about the gift - the blessing -  that we all deeply desire to receive from our parents. This blessing is an affirming gift and when we receive it,  we experience our parents' unconditional love and acceptance, as well as a sense of high value and self-worth.

In the book, the blessing is explained as having five essential elements and each of these are biblically based. These elements are 1) meaningful touch 2) a spoken message 3) attaching high value 4) picturing a special future, and 5) an active commitment. The authors explain both why the blessing is so important for positive self-worth and relationships, as well as what you can do, if you have not received it.  They go on to provide practical advice about how you as a parent can impart this special blessing to your children.

As excited as I was to read this book, I have to be honest and say that I struggled to get through it. I particularly struggled with the first four chapters, which focus on why this blessing is so important and why one should read the book.  Perhaps I was a little impatient, because I wanted to get to the nitty-gritty of what the blessing was all about. The description of the blessing was definitely my favourite part of the book and I think that the suggestions offered for those that feel that they missed out on the blessing, as well as the practicalities of living the blessing, were also helpful.

In a nutshell - it wasn't the easiest read for me, but I would recommend it and it's a book I will definitely be popping into again. 

Thank you Booksneeze for sending me a complimentary copy of this book to review.  I can't wait to review another one :).

2 comments:

K said...

Thank you so much for your honest and candid review!!!! With so many exceptional books on the market it is nice to know which ones take a bit of time VS the quick reads. Can't wait to start our next book!!!

Lindsey said...

I felt that way about the website too. I was very excited about the concept, but there didn't seem to be any real "meat" at the site. I just read about the blessing in action in another book... maybe "Faith Begins at Home" and it was very inspiring.

Lindsey @ GrowingKidsMinistry.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...