February 28, 2013

Esteem Theme of the Week: Unique

 
Here's our first (self) esteem theme of the week. 

The idea -  to focus on a chosen theme word for the week - any word relating to "character".

I add a Bible verse, which we memorise, and we talk about the meaning of the chosen word. We also add a fun activity or activities to help us remember the word (and the verse).

This not only teaches my boys a great new word, but hopefully makes them realise how important it is to be aware of it in their own lives. In that sense, it becomes an esteem builder. And of course, by memorising Bible verses, we put God's word into our hearts and we make it part of who we are. I want that for my boys.  

Our word this week: Unique
(one of a kind; different to everyone/everything  else)

Our verse: Psalm: 139.14

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, 
I know that full well."

Now what do aliens have to do with an esteem theme? Well, it is a fun way to drive home the concept. Little One has certainly remembered the word and loved the idea of "Unique Aliens" :) 


It's a very easy craft: 
You need polystyrene cups (from the Supermarket); balls (found at PNA); pom poms; pipe cleaners; and googly eyes.  We used toothpicks to attach the balls to the cups and then added the embellishments. And most importantly,  each one had to be unique, of course.

As we progress, I'll share more themes and activities. Let me know if you like the idea. I always love hearing from you.

Till next time...

PS. Shared at For The Kids Friday and The Sunday Showcase

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great idea- we try to do a Christ centered family night once a week. I've got one little guy though who just doesn't want to hear about church or God... so we have to be creative, pull him in in fun innovative ways. I love the idea of one word tied in with a bible verse. I'll have to try that. :)

katherine marie said...

ohhh yes I very much love your IDEA! such a fun and creative way to weave in learning about God's love!!! Your pictures are beautiful. Your heart is beautiful. All so BEAUTIFUL!!! thanks for sharing! xoxoxoxoxo

Melissa said...

I made a new blog to share my crafts too! Be welcome at http://themindofanexchange.blogspot.be/ Maybe we can exchange some ideas soon! I will post another link on my blog to yours soon! Have a good day!
Xxx

The Fairy and The Frog said...

What a great idea, a fun way to reinforce the concept in the bible verse.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...