One of very first posts that I wrote was about love connections and I promised some more. You may recall that I spoke about life being so very busy and how important it is to find opportunities to really connect with our children in spite of the busyness.
For me personally one of the best ways to really connect with my children, is with humour. I can get downright silly and I must say that the boys just LOVE it! Whether it's pulling funny faces; suddenly pouncing on them with tickles; or playing an exaggerated "I'm going to come and get you" game , all of these grab their attention and are received with great delight. I think it's in these kinds of moments that they think that I'm just the greatest! I love these moments too, as they often break the tension of the day that inevitably builds up as the day's busyness and tiredness set in.
In contrast to crazy silliness, quiet moments are good too. Sometimes one needs to be still and give a long, deep hug; a listening ear; or a kiss and a cuddle. These opportunities are always there. We just need to take them.
Here are some more ways to quickly and effectively connect with your children.
- Turn up the music and dance together!
- Create a little ritual (like a secret handshake) and initiate it at any time.
- When your child speaks to you, do your best to stop what you are doing, make eye-contact and acknowledge what they are saying.
- Have a quick play-wrestle on the floor.
- Give an extra long hug or snuggle.
- Whisper a little love message in their ear.
- Give a quick massage or back scratch - whatever they prefer.
None of these need take more than five minutes, but the effect on your relationship can be profound!
If you have any more quick love connection ideas, I would love to hear them.